1. Security Requirement
Starting 27 September 2020, Zoom will require all meetings to have a Passcode set or a Waiting Room enabled for user accounts under the institutional subscription arrangement, including all accounts used by HKU staff and students. If neither is enabled, Zoom will enable a Waiting Room for a meeting.
Please refer to Zoom’s FAQ page for more information.
2. New Features
Meetings & Webinars (the following new features are accessible via “Settings” under the client)
- Video filters: Users can apply video filters to alter the look of your video with color grading, foreground, and frame filters. Filters can be turned off in your Web settings at any time.
- Adjust Touch Up My Appearance: New ability to adjust the skin smoothness applied with the Touch Up My Appearance feature.
- Adjust lighting: Users can choose to adjust the brightness of their video automatically or manually with a slider in their video settings. This feature is useful especially in low-light environments.
- Improved background noise suppression: You can adjust the background noise suppression applied, choosing to enable Low, Medium, High, or Automatic background noise suppression.
- Improved video and content sharing: Upgrades to video and content sharing to improve video quality, decrease bandwidth and CPU usage, and improve text clarity.
- Improved Waiting Room notifications: The meeting host now receives more notifications about attendees entering the waiting room, including during screen share, and when Zoom is minimized/hidden.
An Example of Video Filter
Updated Client Menu for Some New Features
- Additional meeting reactions: In addition to the clapping and thumbs up reactions, meeting participants can now react with a heart, surprised face, laughing face, or party emoji. Those receiving the reactions will also need to have the latest version of the Zoom client to see them.
- Security section when scheduling a meeting: To allow easier access, Passcode and Waiting Room settings are displayed under the Security section when scheduling a new meeting.
- Record and send a voice message: You and your users can now record and send a voice message in a one-on-one chat or a channel.
You can refer to this Zoom blog for more information on the above new features.
Most importantly, please update your Zoom client to the latest version to enjoy the use of the following above new features.
User Services Team
Tel: 3917 6220