ITS is coordinating a number of site licenses to facilitate departments to order the commonly used software items through bulk purchase arrangement at an educational and discounted price.
Below are the site licenses that have just been renewed or will soon be renewed-
1. Microsoft Products
Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (EES): We continue to centrally subscribe the Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (EES) for all departments for June 1, 2019 – May 31, 2020. With this arrangement, all departments are eligible to use the up-to-date versions of Windows and Microsoft Office products on all PCs owned or leased by departments during the subscription period.
In addition, staff and faculty members under the employment of the University can enjoy the right
- to download and install Microsoft Office ProPlus (Office 365 ProPlus) on up to 5 personal machines (PC or Mac) and Office apps on 5 mobile devices including Android, iPad, and Windows tablets without cost; and
- to use Microsoft’s online cloud storage OneDrive for Business (5TB in size) and Skype for Business (see http://www.its.hku.hk/documentation/guide/cloud/o365 for details).
- Microsoft Select Plus: We are working to renew the tender for Microsoft Select Plus products for departments to purchase other Microsoft products on perpetual basis that are not covered by EES. The latest tender price will be posted up under HKU Portal after Tenders Board’s approval (type "tender" in the Search field > click the link "Tender Prices").
2. Statistical Products – SPSS and SAS
SPSS: Similar to EES, SPSS will be renewed centrally for campus deployment by all departments, staff and students for academic and research purposes. Departmental coordinators can send their license requirements for departmental, staff and student installations to firstname.lastname@example.org for arranging SPSS license codes.
- SAS: The coming renewal exercise for SAS covers July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. Departments interested in using this product can subscribe the SAS licenses from ITS on a cost-recovery basis. Notification will be sent to the subscribing departments later in May 2019.
3. Anti-virus Solutions – Sophos and Kaspersky Solutions
Sophos Endpoint Protection: Sophos Endpoint Protection, the most commonly used anti-virus solution among departments, will be centrally subscribed for another 3-year from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2022. Departments will soon receive our notification requesting them to send us their license requirement on this software in the next 3 years.
- Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Business: For departments who have the need to use Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Business (KAV) instead of Sophos Endpoint Protection, we will coordinate the renewal of the KAV licenses for them for another 3-year from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2022. Details can be found in the notification to be sent out to departments soon.
4. Symantec Ghost
Symantec Ghost is for imaging and deploying desktops, laptops, tablets, and servers. The licensing terms are as follows:
Symantec Ghost uses a one license per machine policy. Each machine that has Symantec Ghost loaded onto it needs a separate license to be legally compliant. There is no single network license that covers all machines. All cloned or image backup machines will require one license for every machine.
Each license allows cloning and restoring one PC for its entire lifetime. If a licensed PC is permanently decommissioned, its license can be transferred to another PC for that system’s lifespan.
- Symantec Ghost licenses are perpetual and do not expire over time.
The current annual subscription period ends on 30 June 2019. Departments can receive software upgrades, updates and patches of Symantec Ghost for licenses with active maintenance or they can consider not renewing the Ghost licenses if they do not need these services. Departments using Symantec Ghost licenses will receive the renewal notification very soon.
In case you have any questions on the above, please feel free to contact our Ms Sarah Li at 3917 6231 or email@example.com.
Office Administration Team
Tel: 3917 8734