The DLP Project provides departments and individual staff members an effective means to protect data stored in USB Portable Storage Devices ("PSD"), particularly to ensure compliance with the Data Protection Principle 4 (“DPP4”) of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance when personal data is involved. Since the Project was first introduced in IT Services News No. 166 of December 2013, it has received strong support from departments and staff, particularly from those colleagues who have been acting as Departmental DLP Project Coordinators. Steady progress is being made to equip University PCs used by staff members (“Staff PCs”) with the DLP software to enforce encryption of files when they are saved into USB PSD. As of the end of June 2014, over 700 staff PCs in 40 departments have the DLP software installed.
New Version of DLP Software Released with Enhanced Features
A new version of the DLP software (V4.3) was released on 28 May 2014. This new version has the following enhancements:
- New functions for Apple Mac OS X systems to access encrypted USB PSD;
- Capability of encrypting and saving files that are larger than 4GB in size; and
- Compatibility with Windows 8.1 platform.
The DLP software is now compatible with the following platforms:
- Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (Standard, Professional, and Enterprise)
- Windows 7 (Enterprise, Professional, and Ultimate)
- Windows Vista (Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate)
DLP Project Website
To facilitate staff members learning more about the DLP Project, and installing the DLP software on compatible PCs, a project website has been set up since April 2014. Project information, installation procedures and user guides for the DLP software, FAQ’s, training news and materials are all available in the website.
Colleagues may follow the following steps to access the project website and install the DLP software:
- Login your HKU Portal account (within Campus)
- Search for “DLP”
- Click on “DLP for USB PSD” to show the DLP Project Website
- Select the “Download Installation Package” to start the download and installation
It requires collective efforts of all departments and colleagues to strengthen data protection when using USB PSD. Please install the DLP software on your Staff PCs as soon as possible if it is not yet done.
For enquiries about the DLP project and questions in installing/using the DLP software, please contact Mr. Mash Kam at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3917 5717.
Tel: 3917 5952