New Service for EndNote users - Adding Publication Records from EndNote to Research Outputs System
The Research Outputs System (ROS) is a central administrative system for collecting research outputs information of our University. A new service is now available under ROS for academic colleagues to upload their publication records already stored in their EndNote reference library, without the need to re-enter the data to ROS. Special characters and formatting of titles are well supported. This would save much of their effort in reporting research publications.
2. Using the New ServiceTo access ROS, login HKU Portal ("My UIS" tab => "Research" menu => "Research Output List" link).
The new service can be accessed easily from the left menu of ROS (see Figure 1.) The upload of publication records from EndNote can be done through the following steps:
- Select the publications in EndNote and export using XML format.
- Upload the exported file to the System.
- Define the author type, and in the case of HKU staff, also the identity.
- Categorize the publications according to the categories given by the University Grants Committee (UGC).
Figure 1: New Menu of the Research Outputs System
For authors belonging to HKU, it is essential to identify each author from the department staff list such that the system can record which staff members have contributed to the publication. The provision of name and initials of authors alone from the EndNote record is not enough for the stated purpose. The system will store the past settings and use them for newly uploaded records. So the upload operation will become easier after the first round.
More information on using the new feature is available from the following links:
- Quick Guide with video illustration: https://hkuesd.hku.hk:8000/roscv/addFromEndNote.htm
- Detailed User Guide with screen shots: https://hkuesd.hku.hk:8000/roscv/EN_User_Guide.htm