- About University-wide ITS Cloud Deployment
- Key Benefits
- Provision through Central Cost
- Rollout Schedule
This is an initiative for moving towards a virtual data centre through the leveraging of a University-wide ITS cloud deployment. It aims at reducing physical servers at department level in order to improve office space utilization, add security and reliability to the servers and reduce total cost of ownership in server maintenance.
- New provision and addition of resources can be done within a day upon request approval
- Eliminate the efforts of departments in procurement and server setup
- Improved security and reliability through central management
- Ability to extend disaster recovery setup among data centres in Main Campus and Centennial Campus
Starting in January 2019, departments can access the self-service portal at https://itscloud.hku.hk to request a cloud server with 2 virtual CPUs, 4GB memory and 100GB disk storage supported by central funding.
Upcoming services in January 2019
- Resource pool subscription to allow departments to build their IT infrastructure from a pool of processors, memory, storage and networking resources as a Virtual Data Centre
- Operating System (OS) administration service and regular security updates by ITS
This new development will be rolled out in January 2019.
Details of the briefing sessions are accessible at https://www.its.hku.hk/SMARTER-IT#trainingsessions.