The Information Technology Services coordinates various site licensing programs and volume purchase arrangements to facilitate the departments to acquire PC software at educational and discounted prices.
1.1 Adobe Cumulative Licensing Program (CLP)
The Adobe Cumulative Licensing Program (CLP) is a volume licensing program which offers attractive educational prices for departments to acquire Adobe software on perpetual basis. Departments can also purchase maintenance subscription of Adobe CLP license (Upgrade Plan) for a period up to to October 31, 2015 for receiving upgrades of the subscribed software during the term of the Upgrade Plan whenever they are available under CLP. Please note that new versions of popular products, such as InDesign, Illustrator and Master Collection are no longer available under CLP.
The general terms of CLP as follows:
1. Multi-lingual products are available under the CLP including English and Traditional Chinese. However a license holder only eligible to use the specific language of the license ordered. She does not have the right to use the language of a software other than that ordered.
2. The following types of licenses are offered under the CLP:
i) New License
Each new license is associated with one machine in office. Users are allowed to install a copy of the software in office and install a second copy of the software on a computer at home, provided the software installed at home is not used at the same time as the software installed in office.
ii) New Concurrent License
Under CLP, a license option is provided for concurrent usage which allows a specified number of users to access the software at any given time by ordering the specified number of Concurrent Licenses. Concurrent Licenses are for laboratory or classroom use (note: Adobe has lately announced that concurrent license for administrative use is no longer available) and departments must maintain and use adequate verification or monitoring software to manage the concurrency.
For details, please refer to Adobe's policies at http://www.adobe.com/volume-licensing/policies.html
3. Departments can acquire distribution media from Information Technology Services at HK$50 per CD/DVD.
4.Departments participating in the CLP can get technical support from the Adobe Support Centre Hong Kong through the toll-free hotline 3071 4922.
5. The CLP cannot be extended for personal purchase by staff and students of the University.
6. All use of the Adobe products is governed by the End User License Agreement (EULA) of the product. EULA can be found at http://store1.adobe.com/products/eulas/.
1.2 Creative Cloud for Teams (CCT)
Subscription for CC allows the use of a full range of creative desktop applications on subscription basis and enjoy the use of the latest versions, features and upgrades whenever they are available.
Apart from CCT Adobe starts to offer Creative Cloud on individual product basis. Departments can choose to subscribe the "Device License" or "Named License'. (Device license is counted on PC basis instead of user basis. Each license allows 1 installation and 1 activation. Named license is for an individual named user.)
Subscription of CC is on an annual basis (12 months).
See http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html for details.
Since 1999, the Information Technology Services has been coordinating the Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (previously called Microsoft Campus Agreement) for departments which provide a cost-effective and easy-to-manage site licensing arrangement in using Microsoft software products. The Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (EES) is designed to offer University departments/offices to purchase non-perpetual, annual licenses by paying a flat rate for each of their full-time equivalents (FTEs) for faculty and staff. Within the 12-month licensed period, departments joining this program have the right to
- run the Microsoft EES Desktop and CAL Products ("software") on computers owned/leased by the department for the use of its staff and students
- upgrade to new versions of licensed software released
- take the option of deploying downgrade versions (previous versions) in place of the current licensed versions
- use of multilingual versions of the software that are available
- allow their staff to use the licensed software on one computer they own at home for Campus-related purposes (they are NOT licensed to use the software at home for personal purposes)
* Pricing for the desktop and Client Access License (CAL) products covered under the Program is based on a count of your total faculty/staff Full-time Equivalent (FTE) employees.
The total FTE is calculated by: Full time faculty (academic staff) + Part time faculty (academic staff)/3 + Full time staff (non-academic staff) + Part time staff (non-academic staff)/2.
Faculty/Staff counted under this program are those categorized as knowledge workers. Staff members such as cleaner, maintenance worker, etc. may be excluded.
The term of the agreement is one year and subject to renewal. Should a department decide not to renew its subscription to the Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (EES), the department must uninstall the software prior to expiration of the agreement term.
The list of departments participating in the EES of 2016/17 can be found here.
The desktop and CAL products included in the program for 2015-2016 are:
- Windows 8 Enterprise Upgrade
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 and Office for Mac 2011
- Microsoft Core CAL Suite (Windows Server Standard CAL, Exchange Server Standard CAL, System Center Configuration Manager CAL, SharePoint Server Standard CAL, Lync Server Standard CAL and System Center Endpoint Protection)
- Desktop Optimization Pack
SQL CAL and Visual Studio Pro (VS) are no longer available in the EES package. Microsoft stops offering VS under EES effective from 1 July 2014. Departments who wish to continue using VS please contact ITS (if VS is for laboratory use, departments can use the software under Microsoft DreamSpark without additional cost).
* In order to run any version of a Microsoft Windows operating system licensed through the EES, staff and faculty users must have a valid license for a Microsoft Windows operating system on each PC on which the software is run.
2.3 Terms and Conditions
The use of the software is subject to the terms and conditions contained in the Microsoft License Rights. Departments should read these terms carefully before using the software.
The Microsoft Licensing Product User Rights (PUR) document, which is updated regularly by Microsoft, provides additional details regarding current user rights for specific Microsoft products acquired through Volume Licensing programs. Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/userights for details.
Non-knowledge workers such as maintenance, groundskeepers, cafeteria and mailroom, etc. are ineligible for Work at Home Use Rights if they were not included in the Full-Time Equivalent calculation when the EES was signed.
2.4 Installation Media
Like all other Microsoft site licensing programs, the EES will only cover the right-to-use Microsoft license while media and documentation kit have to be ordered separately.
To facilitate the installation of the licensed software, the Information Technology Services has made available distribution copies of the software in CD-R/DVD-R at HK$50 per disk. Departments can place an order to Information Technology Services through the HKU Portal (search for “order” > go to “Order License and Goods” page) for the acquisition of distribution media.
2.5 Microsoft Select Plus
Besides the Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions, the Information Technology Services also coordinates a tender on the Microsoft Select Licenses to provide an alternative channel for departments to acquire the Microsoft products.
- Application-pool, system-pool and server-pool MS products are offered. The licenses acquired under the program cannot be used concurrently. User must purchase a copy of license for each of the required desktops.
- A new maintenance option - Software Assurance (SA) is available as a way to keep Microsoft software up-to-date. SA provides the rights to any new version of a product released during a 3-year term. For details on the Software Assurance benefits, please refer to http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/check-your-benefits.aspx. SA must be acquired together with the new license.
- Information Technology Services has made available distribution copies of the software in CD-R/DVD-R at HK$50 per disk. Departments can place an order to the Information Technology Services through the HKU Portal (Login HKU Portal > Campus Information Services > Central IT Services > Order Licenses and Goods) for the acquisition of distribution media.
- The use of Select licenses is subject to the terms of the Microsoft Select Plus Agreement. The product user right can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/PUR/products.aspx.
The Information Technology Services continues to arrange the site licensing arrangement for Symantec Ghost software for departments of the University.
Departments participating in the program can enjoy free latest version upgrade of the licensed software copies during the license period and they will be provided with a free copy of the media on the latest version of the software when available. Departments have to renew their licenses annually in order to keep the software up-to-date.
The annual renewal period is 1 July to 30 June.
The Information Technology Services coordinates the site licensing arrangement for anti-virus solution, Sophos Anti-Virus Solution and Kaspersky Anti-Virus Solution, for departments of the University.
For staff members who are licensed to use a copy of the Sophos anti-virus license or Kaspersky license in their department (ordered through the Information Technology Services), they can use the licensed copy at home on a single workstation for work-related purpose.
The SAS site licenses are offered on Windows platform with the following available modules:
The use of SAS licenses is subject to renewal in each year covering the period from 1 July to 30 June.
The SPSS site licenses are offered on Windows and Macintosh platforms. The available modules include:
- SPSS for Windows · Statistics Base (formerly Base)
- Regression (formerly Regression Models)
- Advanced Statistics (formerly Advanced Models)
- Custom Tables (formerly Tables)
- Forecasting (formerly Trends)
- Missing Value Analysis
- Sample Power
- Complex Samples
- Exact Tests
- Data Collection Data Entry Bundle
- Decision Trees
The coverage period of the above SPSS license is June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2015.
In 2008, the Information Technology Services coordinates a site-licensing arrangement for NVivo software which is a tool for qualitative data analysis. This site license covers a 3-year term (September 2014 to August 2017). This product is currently offered on Windows platform. Departments participating in the program can enjoy free version upgrade during the subscribed license period.
More Information about NVivo can be found at http://www.qsrinternational.com.
VMware is a virtualization infrastructure solution which allows multiple virtual machines (VM) to run on a single physical machine and share the resources of that single computer across multiple environments. Different virtual machines can run different operating systems and multiple applications on the same physical computer. You can visit the web site at http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/what-is-virtualization.html for more details.
All the VMware licenses under this site licensing program are offered on perpetual basis. Subscribing departments can enjoy product updates and upgrades plus support service during the agreement term. They will own the subscribed VMware licenses at the version being in use upon the expiry of the agreement term should they prefer not to subscribe the support and subscription service after the term. The products available for subscription under the site licensing program include:
- Academic VMware vSphere 6.x Enterprise Plus
- Academic VMware vCentre Server 6
Product support/subscription for the above products is also included during the agreement term by calling their 7x24 support hotline at 8101 8178. For details, please refer to http://www.vmware.com/support/services/production.html.
8.2 Subscription Fee
Subscription fee will be charged annually based on the VMware software and the physical no. of processors subscribed. For the price schedule, please find it under HKU Portal (type "tender" in the Search field and click the link "Tender Prices" ).
For departments who would like to order new VMware licenses through ITS, please send an ITS Order Form through HKU Portal at https://www.hku.hk/portal (type "order" in the Search field and click the link "Order License and Goods"). Or you can complete and return the ITS Order Form (CF-36) available at http://www.its.hku.hk/itsform/forms/cf36.pdf.
For your information, ITS is offering a scalable and flexible on-demand HKU private “ITS Cloud” computing virtual machine subscription service for departments. Through this ITS Cloud Service, departments are no longer required to acquire and manage physical servers and software licenses such as those for operating system and VMware on their own. This will help lowering the cost of IT ownership in departments and mitigating the information security risk of the University. Interested departments can visit our web site at http://itscloud.hku.hk/ or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the ITS Cloud Service.