(A) Installation Procedure - Create a "HKUVPN" icon for connection (to be done once only)
(B) Connection Procedure (has to be done when you wish to connect to the HKU network via the HKUVPN gateway)
(A) Installation Procedure for Windows Vista (The following described the steps for Windows Vista Business version.)
i.e. Create a "HKUVPN" icon for connection
1. Click Windows Start button, and then Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Sharing Center.
3. Click Set up a connection or network. Then click Next.
4. Click Connect to a workplace. Then click Next.
5. Click Use my Internet connection (VPN). Then click Next.
6. For "Internet address", type 'vpnvista.hku.hk'; for "Destination name", type 'HKUVPN'. Then click Next.
7. For "User name", type your
UID; for "password", type your
Then click Connect.
(Leave the "Domain (optional)" field empty.)
(Note: The HKUVPN network requires your network password (not the Portal PIN). If you do not know your network password, set a new one in the HKU Portal => Campus Information Services => Central IT Services => Set Network Password.)
8. The Windows will try to make connection to HKUVPN. Click Skip to cancel the attempt this time.
9. When the following window appears, select 'Set up the connection anyway'.
10. A HKUVPN connection icon is created on the 'Network Connections' window.
11. Continue to do the following settings:
In the Network Connections window (Network and Sharing Centre),
- Right click the "HKUVPN" icon.
- Choose Properties.
- In the pop-up "HKUVPN Properties" window, click the 'Security' tab.
- Under Security options: uncheck both 'Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)' and 'Require data encryption (disconnect if none)'
12. Click the 'Networking' tab, at the field 'Type of VPN", select
At the field "This connection uses the following items:", select 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)'; click the Properties button.
13. In the pop-up window, make
sure the options "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain
DNS server address automatically" are selected.
Click the Advanced button.
14. In the pop-up window, click the 'IP Settings' tab, select "Use default gateway on remote network". Click OK.
15. You can later use the created HKUVPN icon to establish connection to the HKUVPN gateway.
If the shortcut icon "HKUVPN" has not been created on the desktop, then right click the newly created "HKUVPN" icon in the "Network Connections" window, click "Create Shortcut", click "yes" to answer the question "... Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?".
1. Connect to the network physically (via ACEnet, Wireless LAN, HallNet, or at home via your broadband or dial-up service).
2. Double click the HKUVPN icon on the desktop (or in the "Network Connections" window).
3. A "Connect HKUVPN" window will appear. Enter your HKU Network User name (i.e. HKU Portal UID) and Network Password. Click the Connect button. (Leave the "Domain" field empty (even space character is not allowed).)
(Note: The HKUVPN network requires your network password (not the Portal PIN). If you do not know your network password, set a new one in theHKU Portal => Campus Information Services => Central IT Services => Set Network Password.)
4. The following window will appear when you successfully login the HKUVPN gateway.
5. You can then access the HKU network and the Internet. After you have finished accessing the HKU network, close the HKUPVN connection to release the computer resources used in maintaining your PC connection to HKUVPN as follows:
- From the program status tray on the Windows task bar (usually on the bottom right of Windows), click the Network icon and choose Connect or disconnect ... Network and Sharing Centre..
- Highlight the HKUVPN connection and click Disconnect.