To access Universities WiFi, you must:
- For HKU Portal account created before 5 June 2009, register to enable Universities WiFi access by login HKU Portal > Campus Information Services > Central IT Services > Register to use WiFi service.
- For HKU Portal account created on or after 5 June 2009, no registration is required.
The following is a sample procedure on Windows 8 PC configuration for enabling Universities WiFi.
1. Move the mouse cursor to the top right corner of the screen to reveal the Charms Menu. Click Settings
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Network and Internet
4. Click Network and Sharing Center
5. Click Set up a new connection or network
6. Click Manually connect to a wireless network > Next
7. Type in Network name, select Security type and Encryption type as follows.
◦ Type in Universities WiFi in the Network name field ("Universities WiFi" is case-sensitive. Don't just type all letters in lower case or upper case).
◦ Select WPA2-Enterprise from the Security type drop-down menu.
◦ Select AES from Encryption type drop-down menu.
◦ Click Next.
8. Click Change connection settings.
9. Un-check all boxes under the Connection tab. Then click the Security tab.
10. Under the Security tab,
◦ Select Protected EAP (PEAP) from the Choose a network authentication method drop-down menu.
◦ Un-check Remember my credentials for this connection each time I'm logged on.
◦ Click the button Advanced Settings
11. In Advanced settings,
◦ Check Specify authentication mode.
◦ Select User or computer authentication
◦ Click OK
12. Back to the Security tab
◦ Click Settings
13. In the Protected EAP Properties window,
◦ Check Verify the server's identity by validating server certificate
◦ Check Connect to these servers and type 802.1x.hku.hk
◦ Check GeoTrust Global CA
◦ Select Tell user if the server's identity can't be verified from Notifications before connecting drop down menu.
◦ Select Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP V2) from Select Authentication Method drop down menu.
◦ Click Configure...
14. Un-check Automaticlly use my Windows login name and password (and domain if any), then click OK.
15. Click OK twice to close the popup Windows, then click Close to finish.
Move the mouse cursor to the top right corner of the screen to reveal the Charms Menu.
1. Click Settings
2. Click Available
3. Select Universities WiFi
4. Click Connect
5. ◦ Type in your HKU Portal UID in the format of UID@hku.hk in the User name field.
◦ Type in your HKU Portal PIN in the Password field.
◦ Click OK to logon.
Since HKU Portal UID and PIN are employed to login at Universities WiFi, as a better password security measure, you would be asked to change your HKU Portal PIN if you have not changed it for six months.