The HKUVPN2 Gateway (generation 2) provides a channel for current staff and students to securely access the Campus Network from off campus as if they directly connected to the campus network. HKUVPN2 provides a secure connection between your computer and the University network so that you can access the resources you would normally use whilst on campus, such as email, licensed web resources and faculty intranets. The data is encrypted to preserve security.
Note: If your HKU Portal account was created AFTER 5 JUNE 2009, you can immediately use HKUVPN2 after the configuration. Otherwise, please enable your HKUVPN2 (and Universities WiFi) account by login HKU Portal => Campus Information Services => Central IT Services => Register to use WiFi service
For access to the HKU Campus Network, each user has to go through an authentication step. The Information Technology Services has applied a unified authentication procedure (via the HKUVPN2 gateway) for accessing the following:
- Internet via the HKUVPN2 gateway
- Hall Network (HallNet)
- Access-Everywhere-Network (ACEnet)
- WiFi network on campus
To configure your computer to connect to the HKUVPN2 gateway, choose the procedure for the operating system of your computer:
- Procedure for installation of HKUVPN for Windows 8
- Procedure for installation of HKUVPN for Windows 7 (Video)
- Procedure for installation of HKUVPN for Windows Vista
- Procedure for installation of HKUVPN for Windows XP
- Procedure for installation of HKUVPN for Mac OS X
- Procedure for installation of HKUVPN for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch
- Procedure for installation of HKUVPN for Android phone
- Procedure for installation of HKUVPN for Linux
After proper configuration, login the HKUVPN2 gateway using your HKU Portal UID and PIN.
1. The VPN connection will be disconnected automatically after 30 minutes of idle time.
2. Users who want to use legitimate P2P applications over Internet that will not lead to copyright infringement should login the VPN gateway “for-acceptable-use-of-p2p.hku.hk“. It is the user's responsibility to make sure that any such use does not lead to copyright infringement. It is important to note that copyright infringement constitutes computer abuse and will be handled accordingly, including the suspension of computer accounts and network access. (See Policies & Regulations.) Copyright infringement will lead to suspension of the abuser's network account for at least 3 months. (For the procedure of setting up a PC for making connection to the VPN gateway "for-acceptable-use-of-p2p.hku.hk", please refer to the webpage http://www.its.hku.hk/documentation/guide/network/remote/hkuvpn-p2p).
3. For information about HKUVPN services (generation 1), please refer to HERE