A. Installation Procedures (to be done once only)
B. Connection Procedures (has to be done when you wish to connect to the HKU network via the HKUVPN gateway)
1. Click Windows Start button and then Control Panel.
2. Click Network Connections (or click Network and Internet Connections, then click Network Connections).
3. Click Create a new connection or New Connection. If the window "Location information" appears, select "Hong Kong SAR".
4. Click Next. Select 'Connect to the network at my workplace'. Click Next.
5. Select 'Virtual Private Network connection'. Click Next.
6. Under "Conection Name", type HKUVPN into the field labeled 'Type a name for this connection in the following box'. Click Next.
7. Under "VPN Server Selection", at the 'Host name or IP address' field, enter vpnwinxp.hku.hk and click Next.
8. Select 'Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop'. Click Finish.
9. If you are prompted to connect to HKUVPN with your user name and password, click "Cancel" button.
10. IMPORTANT: Continue to do the following settings:
In the window Network Connections
- Right click the "HKUVPN" icon.
- Choose Properties .
- In the pop-up HKUVPN Properties window, click the 'Security' tab .
- Under Security options: uncheck 'Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)' and 'Require data encryption (disconnect if none)'
(Note: You may choose to enable the 'Require data encryption' option for the data transmitted between your PC and the HKUVPN gateway. But beyond the HKUVPN gateway onto the destination, the transmitted data is not encrypted by HKUVPN. Moreover, this setting would degrade the transmission performance a lot, especially for PCs of lower speed.)
11. Click the 'Networking' tab, at the field 'Type of VPN', select 'Automatic'.
12. Unelect all other options of "Components checked are used by this connection" and only select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' ; click Properties. Make sure the options "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected.
13. Click the Advanced button and the 'General' tab, select "Use default gateway on remote network". Click OK.
14. You can later use the HKUVPN icon created to establish connection to the HKUVPN gateway.
If the shortcut icon "HKUVPN" has not been created on the desktop, then right click the newly created "HKUVPN" icon in the "Network Connections"window, click "Create Shortcut", click "yes" to answer the question "... Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?".
Connect to the network physically (via ACEnet, WLAN, HallNet, or at home via your broadband or dial-up service).
Double click the HKUVPN icon on the desktop.
A Connect HKUVPN window will appear. Enter your HKU Portal UID and Network password. Click the Connect button.
Note: The HKUVPN network requires your network password (not the Portal PIN). If you do not know your network password, set a new one in the HKU Portal => My Favourites => Set Network Password.
The following window will appear when you successfully login the HKUVPN gateway.
- You can then access the HKU Intranet and the Internet. After you have finished accessing the HKU network, close the HKUPVN connection to release the computer resources used in maintaining your PC connection to HKUVPN as follows:
- From the program status tray on the Windows task bar (usually on the bottom right of the Windows), right click the HKUVPN icon.
- Click Disconnect.